Featured

Angellica Aribam elected Executive Councillor in Delhi University

20-year-old Angellica Aribam, hailing from Manipur‘s Moidangpok village in Imphal West District, has been elected as “Executive Councillor” for Campus Law Centre, Faculty of Law (DU) in the Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) election held on September 14, 2012.

Probably this is for the first time in the history of DUSU that a female student from the northeast region has won a post in the university student’s organisation, which has over 3,00,000 students enrolled. Delhi University is among the largest universities in the world.

Angellica Aribam is also the in-charge of all North East students studying in the university. Prior to joining as an active member of National Students’ Union Of India (NSUI), a student wing of Indian National Congress some 5 months ago. She was associated with a Manipuri Arts and Culture based organization called ‘Khonthaang Delhi‘ for almost two and a half years.

“The outsider treatment afflicted to us has dwindled. Speaking from my first hand experience, during the University’s Law faculty election, the North-East students studying there accounted to 20% votes only, The rest 80% votes for me came from students hailing from the rest of India and guess that explains a lot. As people have more awareness about our culture and traditions now, I am sure the prejudice will slowly come to an end,”  She explained.

What inspired to become a student activist, she admits her share of story “I’ve been staying in Delhi since very young age, I have seen a lot of injustice done to us (north-east folks). I didn’t want to sit back and complain about it anymore. So i decided to get involved and try my little bit to bring about a change in the mindset of people here. I want to help address the problems faced by students in Delhi university”.

Moved to Delhi in 2004, for her schooling in the city. Passed out her graduation in B.Sc Biochemistry Honors from Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi University. Currently she pursuing her Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) 1st year at Delhi University.

You Might Also Like

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top