After defeated at the battle of Kohima, the Japanese troops were retreating via Viswema, Mao-Songsang and at the great ridge of Maram (Manipur), the battle of Maram was fought on 18th June 1944.
Though Major General Miyazaki of the Japanese 31st Division was told to hold on to Maram for ten days, a brilliant battle plan executed by Michael West and the 7th Battalion Worcestershire regiment made the Japanese to retreat within few hours.
The famous World War-II war memorial stone which is standing today in the Kohima War Cemetery, was moved from Maram village to its present site with great difficulty and the assistance of the Naga hillsmen.
John Maxwell Edmonds, an English Classicist wrote a famous epitaph on it, “When you go home, tell them of us and say – For their tomorrow, we gave our today”.
The official website of Worcestershire Regiment quoted,
[blockquote]This Memorial was unveiled by Field Marshal Sir William Slim, who was at the time commanding 14th Army in Burma. It is made from once piece of solid stone which formed part of a Naga formation of stones similar, but smaller, than Stonehenge. These stones were situated on a Spur near the village of Maram, south of Kohima. The 7th Battalion, supported by Tanks, M.M.G.’s and Artillery, captured the village and the spur after a battle lasting one day.[/blockquote]
Recently, The twin Second World War battles of Imphal and Kohima and its victories over the Japanese, have been named as the greatest ever battle involving British forces by the National Army Museum in England.
The battle of Maram was fought during the end of great battle of Kohima (4 April to 22 June 1944), when the British and Indian troops pursued the retreating Japanese and reopened the Kohima-Imphal road.
(Profile Image: Veterans of the 7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at their reunion at the Shrubbery T.A. Centre in Kidderminster seen here with the 75 mm Japanese Gun they captured at Maram in June 1944. Photo by Jill Burton)